FUNCTIONS, RESPONSIBILITIES AND POWERS OF VIETNAM INLAND WATERWAY ADMINISTRATION
Pursuant to Decision No.4409/QD-BGTVT dated December 31, 2013 by Minister of Transport, prescribing the functions, responsibilities and powers of Vietnam Inland Waterway Administration as follows:
Position and functions:
Vietnam Inland Waterway Administration is an organization attached to Ministry of Transport with function of consulting and assisting the Minister in performing the State management and implementation of Inland Waterway Transport Law nationwide.
The Administration with its legal status, seal and headquarter located in Hanoi, has been awarded funding from the State budget to its account at State Treasury.
Responsibilities and powers:
1. To host, develop and submit to the Minister strategies, master plans, and long-term, five-year and annual development plans, national projects and programs, schemes of inland waterway transport.
2. To host, develop and submit to the Minister legal projects, ordinance, other legal documents and regulations of inland waterway transport management; to issue the specialized legal documents for inland waterway transport management under its power.
3. To develop and submit to the Minister or request the authorized state agency to issue technical standards, economic- technical norms under the Administration's management; to issue primary standards within the scope of the Administration's management and in accordance with legal regulations.
4. To guide, examine the implementation of legal documents of approved strategies, master plans and plans; communicate, propagate, popularize and educate about legal documents of inland waterway transport.
5. Regarding infrastructure of inland waterway transport:
a) To organize the administration and performance of the approved development plans and master plans related to inland waterway infrastructure;
b) To submit to the Minister for approval of classification and maintenance of inland waterway transport infrastructure; To organize administration and maintenance of national inland waterway;
c) To organize performance of duties and powers for investment decider or investor of construction projects regarding inland waterway transport infrastructure that the Minister decides to invest or is authorized;
d) To coordinate with local authorities and relevant agencies in protection of inland waterway transport infrastructure and safety corridor;
e) To submit to the Minister for publication of opening and closing inland waterway ports, receiving- releasing area of navigator for inland waterway ports which receive oversea ships and publication of opening and closing inland waterway route.; to publicize inland waterway ports, issue Operating License to inland waterway stations (except for cross-river stations) and inform inland water transport flow in accordance with legal regulations;
f) To participate in contribution of written ideas for construction projects of national inland waterway in accordance with the legal regulations;
g) To guide relevant local agencies to manage and maintain local inland waterways. To synthesize development, management and maintenance status of inland waterway system nationwide;
6. With respect to inland waterway vehicles:
To submit to the Minister regulations on registration and management of inland waterway vehicles;
To guide registration and management of inland waterway vehicles (except for captains, equipment for national defense and security purpose; fishing vessels).
7. Regarding training, examining and issuing professional certificates to crew members, captains working on inland waterway vehicles in inland waterway transport (except for captains controlling dedicated vehicles and equipment for national defense and security purposes; fishing vessels).
To submit to the Minister regulations on professional conditions and standards for crew members and captains working on inland waterway vehicles, captains controlling dedicated inland waterway vehicles and equipment;
To submit to the Minister regulations on contents of professional training programs for crew members and captains working on inland waterway vehicles, captains controlling dedicated inland waterway vehicles and equipment; to submit to the Minister regulations on examination, issuance and changing of professional certificates for crew members and captains working on inland waterway vehicles;
To submit to the Minister regulations on primary conditions to train crew members and captains working on inland waterway vehicles;
To draft and submit to the Minister the decision on minimum workforce and responsibilities for crew members and captains working on inland water vehicles.
8. With respect to operation of inland waterway transport:
To develop and submit to the Minister mechanism and policies for transport development, inland waterway transport supportive services and regulations on goods and passenger transport by inland waterway vehicles;
To develop and submit to the Minister regulation on publishing passenger transport routes and to implement the publication under the Minister's direction;
To guide the performance of regulations on multiple modes of transport in inland waterway transport sector;
To participate in setting up freight tariff or freight of transport , discharge, monopoly supportive services and other services subsidized or assigned by the State;
To apply regulations of State management to ports, inland waterway stations within the scope of the Administration's management and in accordance with legal regulations;
To do statistics, research and forecast inland waterway market, development of goods flow, passenger volume and inland waterway routes nationwide
9. With respect to inland waterway transport safety:
To develop, submit to the Minister and organize performance of schemes on inland waterway transport safety nationwide upon the approval by the authorized agency; to guide, examine the implementation of inland waterway transport safety measures within the scope of function and duties of the Administration;
To decide the establishment of work- related accident investigation delegation and perform the investigation and record of work- related accidents on inland waterway vehicles;
To organize performance of prevention and response to flood and storm in coordination with the search and rescue team in inland waterway transport under the Minister's direction;
10. With respect to environment protection in the exploitation of inland waterway transport:
To participate in the appraisal of environmental impact assessment report regarding construction projects of inland waterway transport infrastructure and industrial production factories under the Minister's direction and in accordance with legal regulations;
To coordinate with central and local agencies to guide and examine the implementation of environmental protection and other legal regulations related to the construction of inland waterway transport infrastructure within the scope of Administration's management.
11. To perform international cooperation assigned by the Minister.
12. To organize plan of scientific researches, technology development and transfer in inland waterway transport sector; to implement programs and projects with application of information technology, database establishment in order to provide necessary information for state management as well as individuals participating in inland waterway transport
13. To establish and implement administrative reform programs, apply information technology to the Administration's activities in accordance with the objectives and contents of administrative reform program and Ministry of Transport.
14. Perform inland waterway professional inspection under regulations, settle claims and complaints; implement corruption prevention and control, thrift practice and waste combat.
15. To manage the organizational apparatus, payroll, officers, servants and laborers; to implement wage regime as well as regimes and policies on preferential treatment, rewards, commendation and discipline towards officers, servants and laborers within the scope of the Administration's management and in accordance with legal regulations; to establish and submit to the Minister organizational apparatus, work location, category of public servants and officers of the Administration.
16. To manage finance and assets as assigned; arrange budget in accordance with legal regulation; collect charges and surcharges under legal regulations.
17. To establish and submit to the Minister unit price of products and public utility services of inland waterway transport; organize bidding, place orders and assign public utility product and services of inland waterway transport in accordance with legal regulations.
18. To liaise with People's Committees of provinces, cities directly under the central and concerned agencies; to cooperate with other Administrations attached to the Ministry to perform assigned function, duties and power in accordance with legal regulations and under the Minister's authorization.
19. Implement other responsibilities in accordance to legal regulations and under the Minister's direction.
Vietnam Inland Waterway Administration